Pages

Saturday 28 September 2013

Exploring Cornwall: Gurnard's Head

There's a small road that cuts across the narrow strip of land upon which we live.  Winds you along tiny lanes and across open heathland from Badger's Cross to Zennor.  Ahhh, don't you just love the names of places here?

Last Sunday we'd spent all day in the living room.  Feeling a bit sad to be honest.  So by evening time was bit desperate to get out, and perhaps chase the sunset.  So we headed west(ish) to Gurnard's Head, another place I'd seen on the map but not been to.

The boys [men] said hi to the cows and then opted for some local cider in the Gurnard's Head pub.  I walked on with my camera to explore a little more.  You've got to see what's around the next corner, no?!

I'm glad I kept on walking.  After walking through the cow fields I turned left onto the cost path.  On the other side of a rocky ridge I was treated to this view - all the way to Land's End.  Isn't it gorgeous?!  


The rocky outcrop you can see below is Gurnard's Head.  A gurnard is a fish - one time when searching for fish and chips in Marazion a pub chef suggested we try gurnard and it was reeeally tasty.  I guess this is where they catch them...?


So obviously I had to climb it... it's actually bigger than it looks, it's hard to capture the height in photos when I was the only person around.  I like exploring by myself, although I did think if I fell it would be a while before the boys found me.  Anyways.... any requests to join me and be a fellow-photo-chasing-rock-scrambler gladly accepted!  


I hung out on the rock until the sun went down.  As we live on the 'south side', we don't see many sunsets.  And I guess it's important to make time to watch one now and then, don't you?


x x x

No comments: