Pages

Sunday 6 October 2013

Enjoying Cornwall: poetry, music and dancing of late

So since my post on finding things pretty hard down here, we've been getting out and about a bit more and trying to make the most of what we do have and who we know.  And it's been good, and made a difference.

On my birthday after attempting some surfing and enjoying fish and chips with friends in Sennen, we went down to the Studio Bar in Penzance for their weekly open mic night.  My brother-in-law who is currently living with us loves to sing and hubby plays guitar so we practiced a couple of songs and gave our debut performance.  I was backing singer...oooo yehhhhh... (Just watched Dreamgirls this week and even more would love to be a soul backing singer with a glittery dress!) and then did a couple of poems which was cool as I haven't been performing much recently.  It was a bit nerve-racking - and then fun once I relaxed - to be on stage together doing something new.  Hopefully we'll be back with more songs soon!


The cool thing about doing the poems was that a lady then invited me to a mini music and words festival in Marazion this week, which I would never have heard about otherwise.  It was a lovely evening and I got to perform more poems, met creative people and was generally inspired to keep on getting out and about more.  You can listen to a couple of my recent poems here.

Other good things have been getting out dancing twice last weekend; on Friday at an opening night of an art exhibition at The Exchange Gallery in Penzance (sadly the exhibition was already closed as we went down after work but the DJ played awesome tunes!) and on Saturday at the main night club in Penzance (a secondary birthday celebration!).  I've really missed going out dancing, so it was good to get a little groove on.  

We've also had quite a few people round for food and hanging out in our home, which we love, and it makes life feel more 'normal' and more friend-filled.  Hooray hooray.

So there we go, a fair few moments to be thankful for! :-)

No comments: