Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Espanglish

In the last couple of weeks I've gone along to the 'Spanish Combination', an informal language exchange night at the Cornerstone pub in Brighton.  I used to go about 4 years ago when it started, but haven't been back for about three years.  I'm not sure why!  Can't believe it's been that long, which means three years since I graduated too.  Mental.  I've barely spoken Spanish in that time either, which means I've been forgetting it.  Silly really after how much work I put into learning it.  This is mainly down to the fact that I'm not a particularly disciplined person, but I really don't want to lose it all.  I think I had expected to be living in a Spanish speaking country by now, and becoming fluent 'n' all, but life hasn't quite panned out that way and here I am still in Brighton.  However there are more and more Spanish people living here, so there are plenty of opportunities to speak it, just gotta be braver and get out there.  Which I have started to do, and really really enjoyed it!  And was pleasantly surprised to find I hadn't forgotten everything, and was encouraged by the people I spoke with.

I think practising a language with people who are also attempting to speak something other than their mother tongue is one of the best ways because you understand how difficult it can be, and therefore feel more comfortable to 'give it a go'.  Making mistakes is a vital part of learning a language, but, as a bit of a perfectionist, I HATE MAKING MISTAKES!  I spent way too much time while I lived in Spain NOT speaking because I didn't want to get it wrong.  Which meant I didn't improve very quickly.  I know in my head that it really doesn't matter if I mix up a verb ending or get the words in slightly the wrong order, but its hard to get that message from head to my mouth!

I think that's why learning Spanish is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done.  I did well at school, but mainly because I'm able to memorise lots of information for a short period of time - which suits you well in an exam.  But actually learning to speak and understand a language (not just memorise French vocab lists!) is about so much more than memory, it's about confidence, character and the ability to engage with the people and culture around you.  I know it's a challenge that really has the potential to make you grow as a whole person, which is why I think it's such a shame that language departments (like the one I went to at the University of Sussex), are closing because they don't 'bring in the money'.  We don't know what we will lose.

So here's to getting braver, making more mistakes, meeting more people and speaking more Spanish!  If you want to come along, it's Thursdays from 9pm at the Cornerstone pub.  Or join the Facebook group HERE.

No comments: