Pages

Sunday 15 July 2012

Rabbit




Rabbit was there from day one
Day one that came a little too early for tiny twins and their first time mum
Rabbit was there from day one
Held in sticky hands
Held close, held tight
Rabbit always fitted in my hand just right
Rabbit used to be pink but is now is faded to dirty grey
Eyes are wide set and nose is almost rubbed away
Like the tail...
No soft white fluff
More like a stump
The only softness is in the ears
Mouth downturned as if about to burst into tears
Quite possibly Rabbit was ugly even when he was new
But it’s never mattered because love rose-tints my view
He is beautiful to me
She is beautiful to me
Never could decide if Rabbit was a he or a she
Just Rabbit will do
Just Rabbit will do

Rabbit had a friend called Rump Rump
Who must have been lying on his trunk
Because it always bent to the right
And Rump Rump was always held tight
In another girl’s hand
As the two played in the sand
And went on adventures
But there was nowhere that they’d venture
Without their little friends
 On beaches and in cars and on walks and in tents

I’ve said before they weren’t the best looking pair
But the twins never seemed to care
The best thing about them was their size
and though i’m now twenty five
Rabbit still fits just right, just right
and i hold Rabbit tight
when i’m alone at night
or not feeling quite right
Because Rabbit has seen me through the thick and the thin
Rabbit was there from the beginning

Rabbit puts up with my snores and my tears
Rabbit’s seen me grow up over the years
Rabbit knows the way I curl up to go to sleep
Rabbit’s heard my dreaming
And Rabbit made friends with Sheep
And Panda, and Pig and now finally a Boy!
At last there’s a person in my bed instead of toys

But there’s still room for Rabbit
Because Rabbit’s just the right size
To stay by my side
Tucked into my hand
And the Boy understands
Because watching over us from the chair
Is his old friend
Called Bear


No comments: