Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Desperate?


This I wrote at that New Year's Day service, but on my phone so i forgot about it:

Are we not desperate here?
This is all very nice... but I don’t think that’s enough anymore.
Give me symbols and drums and heart wrenching cries
Because we are desperate for you and if you don’t come...
Then really, we’re lost
Without you we’re going nowhere
Without you, life is meaningless
Oh come like the evening rain that softens the earth
Come like the dawn, chasing nightmares away
Come like a lover’s kiss – starting the day with the knowledge that we are wanted
Come like the morning sun that warms the cold concrete
Shines colour into grey corners
Come like the birdsong, singing a tune that drowns out lies that fill our mind
Come like a mother’s touch that reassures anxious bones.
Come like an earthquake, shaking foundations
Come like a mighty river that washes clean polluted souls

I want to see change
I want to go deeper
I want things to move
I cannot settle for shallow, for nice, for soft, for easy
O let me be kind, and let me be gentle
But let me not compromise
Let me not bend to pleasing others over pleasing God
Let me fear only the one who holds life in his hands
Let Jesus be big... in all His glory
And
Let me not hide
Let me not be silent

No comments: