Pages

Sunday 7 December 2014

Paris

Two weeks ago we were in Paris.

And before it fades from memory and thankfulness, here's a little celebration of exploring, of visiting a dear friend, of open spaces and grandeur, of creativity and sunny balconies and good cheese.

I'd never been to Paris before, I guess I wasn't that fussed about going, and if Heloise had lived in another place then we would have gone there instead. But it is a bit silly to have had a friend there all this time and never visited.

So we went. Penzance to Paris isn't a quick job when you have no car and there's only a limited number of flights leaving from Bristol airport. But after a lot of trains and buses and walking with heavy rucksacks through the dark and rain in Bristol, we got there, and I'm so glad we did.



I wouldn't say it was a romantic weekend - and we only saw a small slice of the city, and I'm not usually that fussed about touristy stuff and big churches and museums, etc. But contrary to expectation I think I did feel a tiny bit of the 'magic'. It sounds so cliché but it was when we were walking by the river in lamplight, having just visited the Notre Dame and after an afternoon of mozeying across bridges in Canal Saint-Martin.

All of a sudden, with a man playing his trumpet on the river bank, I was overwhelmed by the countless stories and histories in that place. And also with a sense that anything might be possible. That miracles still might happen. That the world is our oyster and at the same time that there's also un-imaginably more to know and explore.

So thank you Paris, you lifted our spirits and made us dream again.










  




1 comment:

Adele said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful city, beautiful friends! Thanks for sharing.