Pages

Sunday 28 September 2014

Exploring Cornwall: The Helford Passage

Last weekend my parents came to visit so I took the opportunity to get out and explore a little corner of this end of Cornwall that I've heard about lots but never made it down to.

Helford passage, on the Falmouth side of the Helford River, is not exactly easy to get to or on the way to anywhere, but I think that's part of the attraction.  We drove down tiny windy roads through tiny villages. We parked up on the hill near a lovely view - you can see where the river meets the sea. 



We walked down to the river bank, where the popular Ferryboat Inn is situated.  You can catch a ferry across the river at this point, but at £6 per person we decided to stay on our side!


We walked along the South West coast path that runs beside the river towards Mawnan and the sea.  The sun was warm on our skin and we looked out a little enviously at the sailboats. 



After about a mile we reached Durgan, the cutest village - well more like handful of houses.  Bunting, rowing boats and a tiny almost secret beach. The water was so calm and tempting I couldn't resist a swim, despite not having any swimwear with me!  My parents weren't so up for stripping down to their underwear...



Their strange dog is scared of deep water so she just sat looking enviously at the jack russell and spaniel doggy paddling past me!


After my quick dip we wondered back to Helford Passage and had a drink at the pub.  Such a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon and definitely somewhere I'll return to and explore more.




No comments: