Pages

Sunday 6 July 2014

Elisa and Ophelia

This year two of my greatest friends have had daughters, just a few weeks apart from each other. And in the last couple of month I've had the privilege of being able to spend a weekend with each of them, catching up and getting to know the newest additions to their families

I wrote this for them.

Elisa & Ophelia

Both new to the world this year
Only a handful of months in the knowing
Of sights and spaces beyond your mothers’ cocoon
So far
more time spent hidden than revealed

Two beautiful girls with beautiful names
“Promised of God” and “Help”
Significant from the start
I am excited to see where your paths take you

You, both, with your wide eyes looking upon the world around
Breaking into a smile now and then...
And the sun comes out
But right now
All that matters are those milky orbs, plenty of sleep, a clean nappy and being held

Being held
Can you feel how treasured you are?
The strength of love
In your mama and your papa’s arms
Can you hear it in their chest?
When they draw you close
Can you see in their eyes
That you are the apple, the moon and the stars?

Blood runs in your veins
From both sides of the Atlantic
The possibility of more than one passport
Lives that’ll include hours on planes to visit grandparents
A mix of cultures flavouring your tastes, your views, your words
What other seas will you cross? Where will you make your home(s)?
What will you embrace and what will you change?
Whichever roads you take, may you dance often and laugh long
And delight in life and know you are of unspeakable value

I wonder if you’ll be friends one day
Connected by the thread of friendship with your mothers
That I am honoured to hold
wrapped tightly around my heart
I have journeyed with both of them
For a little long while
Learning about life and love and loss and laughter
They are strong
The women that bore you
Determined in their desire to follow the One Above and in them
To love well
And to keep on keep on keep on
Big hearts and faithful friends
My sisters
And I can already see that strength in you


I am richer for knowing your mothers
And doubly blessed for having met you
Perhaps one day my daughter will gain two older sisters
And she’ll be all the richer, too.


No comments: