Pages

Sunday 28 April 2013

a lickle update

Hey.  Sorry it's been a while - again.  You'd think I'd have loads of time on my hands seeing as I'm only working about 10 hours a week at the moment, but somehow another week has flown by.  I'm not even sure what we've done, apart from me beginning to teach myself the violin(!) and some more meals with friends.  Yesterday we had an especially lovely day with friends, walking and talking and eating.  See here for some photos.

We both find ourselves needing a lot of sleep, I think we're still adjusting to quite a big change, even though it hasn't felt at all stressful.  We've also been down to the Job Centre in Penzance a few times, which is often exhausting by the time they've handed you a billion forms to fill in and tried to explain how everything works.  We don't even know if we qualify for assistance as we left our last jobs by choice.  But we've decided to try jumping through all the hoops for now, as any help at all toward paying next month's rent is going to be appreciated!

Yep, we're 'living on the edge' in that sense, but it makes life feel more like an adventure... (well perhaps for me, I don't think Mr Q would phrase it that way!).  God's said He'll provide so here's an opportunity for Him to do so.  And we always seem to get by, so sure everything'll work out OK.  But yeh, hubby is finding it strange not having a job as he's worked his pretty little bottom off ever since he arrived here from South Africa 10 years ago!

Anyways, this is a bit rambly but thought I'd inform you of some interesting things I've learnt about Cornwall this week, all linked to tin mining.  I'm not sure of the absolute truth of these facts, perhaps you know more...

  • Apparently, Cornwall used to be covered in trees!  It's hard to believe as there are barely any trees anywhere, and the land appears as it's been rugged for centuries.  But yeh, we were told yesterday that they were all cut down because of the mines.
  • There are old mines everywhere, in fact some say that Cornwall is basically hollow under the surface.  It's not uncommon for people to fall down old mine shafts (SO STICK TO THE PATHS, KATRINA!) and even for whole rooms or houses to disappear into the ground.  Apparently it's very hard to get house insurance here. Haha!
  • And last fact of the day, one of the towns near us (can't remember which one, sorry!) was at one point the wealthiest town in the British Empire because of the mines and trading here.  Now Cornwall has got to be one of the poorest regions in the UK.  Crazy.
Ok so the facts were a little vague BUT I plan to find out more and I'll fill you in with more exciting Cornish knowledge in the coming weeks and months.  I know you're excited.

Bye for now!




No comments: