Pages

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Thoughts on Home from Carbis Bay (for Llewellyn and for Nikki)

Today I did a mini writing workshop with some elderly people in Carbis Bay.  They meet every Wednesday for tea and cake and different activities.  I got everyone to write about a journey they made regularly as a kid, and about a place/person/situation that they would describe as 'home'.  It was great because everyone got involved, everyone wrote and everyone read out what they'd written at the end.  I really enjoyed it!

Home is a something I ponder on a lot.  Even thought I'd set the exercise, it took me a while to decide what/who/where to write about.  And even once I started I kept changing my mind and starting anew.

Anyways, here's a couple of the bits I ended up with, which were both about people:

A South African boy cycled into my Brighton life and slowly, drink by drink, kiss by kiss, awkward conversation by 'braai'ed steak, hug by hug, he built us a home.  A home of arms that encircle me when the world is tumbling down.  Brown eyes that say, 'be yourself Katrina, be - your - self'.  Delicate fingers, that catch my tears and listen to what each one has to say.  A smile that's a window to a better place, a better say.  And a heart that's an open door, inviting me, and others, to come in.

***

Tight blonde hugs and sparkling blue smiles
Sun beam squeals and freckled noses
Grace weaving easy between hearty meals
Conversations flow like Welsh rivers
Light bounces off and we dive in
Deep wells
Fading tattoo or two, a nose ring, twinkling eyes
And wise words
A cup overflowing with tea, wine and stories
Deep wells
Pen and paper and more words
Truth-seeking and mystery-delighting
We dance in firelight
In starlight
In lazerlight
Mother-friend
She
Gathers up the lost sheep
and
There's always room for me






No comments: